Best remedy for dry lips: Go for natural lip care this winter
Get the softest lips with these natural remedies. Let chapped lips become no one.
You tend to have very dry and chapped lips as the winter season approaches. Having the most moisturized and supple lips during this harsh-for-your-lips season is #BeautyGoals. After all, it’s all about the perfect pout and what better than being able to showcase one effortlessly?
Even the most expensive lipstick will not be able to hide your cracked lips in winter. The aim is to pamper your lips like you would want to be pampered by your guy – regularly and effectively. So, this winter, we have tried to put together only the best and most important tips you need to follow to avoid lip chapping.
Major causes of dry lips
It will be easier for you to prevent dry and cracked lips if you know the extremely common reasons for causing them:
- Weather – lack of humidity in air during winters or high sun exposure during summers can both cause dry lips
- Licking or biting your lips is the worst habit!
- Use of excessive chemicals in lipsticks or lip balms (Ex. Alcohol)
Choosing the best lip balm to fix your dry lips
There’s probably a section hiding back in your closet that is inevitably the graveyard of lip balms that for some reason, did not make it to the VIP status (RIP random tube from 2012). So, which is that one lip balm that can be your one stop solution for dry lips?
Look for these natural ingredients in a lip balm over a chemical-loaded one:
- Shea butter – This magic ingredient acts as a natural sun block. It also has allantoin (a healing agent) which makes it the best ingredient to have in a lip balm.
- Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil helps in nourishing, softening and lubricating the lips during winter. It also helps in growing new skin cells to treat cracked lips.
- Beeswax – A natural skin softener with anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties to guard and protect your lips during winter season.
- Castor oil – Use a lip balm with castor oil for natural nourishment and moisturization and forget about dry lips forever!
- Real fruit oils – Although a rarity, but when artificial fragrances and/or flavours are replaced with real fruit oils, you can be rest assured that your lip balm is as natural as it could get. Often lip balms contain fragrances that are loaded with ‘hidden chemicals’ like phthalates which is very harmful for your skin.
Make sure your lip balm doesn’t contain toxic ingredients like petrolatum, parabens and artificial fragrances/flavours. Go for an organic product as a lip balm is something you will use at least two to three times a day – So more natural, the better.
Quick home remedies to treat dry lips
You can also try these easy home remedies for severely chapped lips –
- Sugar + Honey – Exfoliating dead cells off your chapped lips will help restore their natural softness faster.
Mix two teaspoons of sugar with one teaspoon of honey. Apply the paste to your lips and let it sit for a few minutes. Then use your fingers to gently rub the mixture around on your lips to loosen the dead skin cells. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Honey + Ghee – Mix a little of both honey and ghee to get the best homemade moisturizer for your lips. Apply this before sleeping at night to wake up to smooth and soft lips the next morning
- Rose petals + Milk Cream – Apply a bit of milk cream on a rose petal and gently rub it on your lips before going to bed at night. This will not only moisturize but it will also give a soft pink glow to your lips.
REMEMBER – the lesser you expose your skin to chemicals, the better it will shine. Your lip is the most sensitive skin area hence it deserves extra care. Choose the best for them!
Words by Kirtika Biyani
For Ruby’s Organics